If you are looking for a reliable and safe international currency transfer company in Australia that will give you access to wholesale exchange rates, while providing bank-like safety and superior level of service, this international money transfer service comparison is for you.
Money Transfer Comparison compares and review currency brokers in Australia and outside of Australia since 2014. We have covered more than 60 global money transfer companies to date and compared the best money transfer services, and we are ALWAYS on the hunt for more. Our Australia currency broker listing is available below.
Best Currency Broker Australia
Only for bank-to-bank currency transfers, Updated for: December 2022
- Best Website - Friendly and Transparent
- Easy to Sign Up and Trade, Excellent On-Boarding Team
- Competitive Exchange Rates for Both Small and Large Transfers
- Very Friendly and Professional Dealers
- Austrlaian Company with Australian Headquarters
- Australian Specialists with Local Offices
- 98% Client Satisfaction
- Dedicated Dealer for Transfers above A$5,000
- Corporate FX Specialists
- Very Quick On-Boarding Process
- Great Exchange Rates!
- Fastest Growing UK Currency Transfer Provider
- Strong Onboard Team, Get an Immediate Callback
- Recipient of Multiple Industry Awards
- Close and Personal Touch, Excellent Support
- Specialists in the UK-Spain Corridor with Local Offices
- Competitive Currency Rates
For Ecommerce and Business Clients Exclusively
- Great FX Margins for Businesses
- Authorised by 6 Global Regulators
- Asian Currency Specialists
- Excellent Multi-Currency Offering for Online Sellers
- Operating for 15+ Years
- Owned by Ant Financial, a Global Payments Giant
- Courteous Staff
- Largest Selection of Currencies
- Does not Accept USA-Based Clients
Most Innovative (Using Ripple infrastructure for Payments)
- Innovative - Using Ripple Network for Payments
- Solid Customer Reviews (although not many)
- Strong Entrepreneurs with Banking Background
Notes: Favouring companies with local Australian offices; these companies won’t allow domestic AUD-AUD transfers and are limited to international transfers from Australia, or, receiving payments Australia bank accounts.
International Currency Transfers in Australia for Individuals and Corporations
Traditionally, international currency transfer brokers in Australia and globally have been more focused on SME clients and prior to 2010 most of them did not accept individual clients at all. Nowadays, all the best money transfer companies in Australia as per our rating are happy to accept individuals – each with a different minimum transfer amount (CurrencyFair and Wise don’t have a minimum amount, true for December 2022).
With the above, being said, Australian SME clients are still extremely lucrative for money transfer companies and they are completely tailored to the boom in Australian SMEs that has not been set back tremendously by the COVID-19 pandemic.
With our selection of best money transfer companies in Australia, you can
ASIC Registered Money Transfer Companies & Currency Brokers: Australia
|Company||Name on Registry||ASIC Number|
|#1||TorFX||TOR FX PTY LIMITED||246838|
|#2||WorldFirst||World First Pty Ltd||331945|
|#4||Wise||Wise Australia Pty Ltd||513764|
|#5||CurrencyFair||CurrencyFair Australia Pty Ltd||402709|
|#6||XE Money Transfer||HIFX Australia PTY Ltd||240917|
|#7||Azimo||AZIMO PTY. LTD||Could not find on register.|
Potentially uses UK license.
|#8||Send||SendFX Pty Ltd||509635|
|#9||WorldRemit||WORLDREMIT PTY LTD.||Could not find on register.|
Potentially uses UK license.
|#10||Remitly||REMITLY AUSTRALIA, PTY LTD||Could not find on register.|
Potentially uses UK license.
|#11||Airwallex||Airwallex Pty Ltd||487221|
|#12||Instarem||NIUM PTY Limited||464627|
|#13||Moneycorp||TTT Moneycorp Pty Limited||302061|
|#14||SingX||SingX Australia Pty Ltd||508309|
|#15||Paysend||PAYSEND PLC||Could not find on register.|
Potentially uses UK license.
|#16||Travelex International Money Transfer||Travelex Limited||222444|
|#17||AFEX||Associated Foreign Exchange Australia Pty Limited||305246|
|#19||Transfermate||Transfermate Pty Ltd||514851|
|#20||Payoneer||PAYONEER AUSTRALIA PTY LTD||504803|
|#21||Revolut||Revolut Payments Australia Pty Ltd||517589|
|#22||Western Union||Western Union Financial Services (Australia) Pty. Ltd.||404092|
|#23||Moneygram||MoneyGram Payment Systems, Inc.||Could not find on register.|
Potentially uses US license.
|#24||Compass Global Markets||COMPASS GLOBAL HOLDINGS PTY LIMITED||426810|
|#25||FlashFX||Flash Partners Pty Ltd||480834|
Why Australia is the World’s #2 Currency Broker Hub?
Only second to UK’s currency transfer brokers, Australia is a massive international hub for international money transfer companies. That is particularly impressive considering Australia’s population being a mere 25m people, which is under 0.33% of the global population. So what makes Down Under so attractive in the eyes of money transfer services specializing on international transfers? the reason is multi-faceted.
- Australians are considered more financially savvy than most of their international counterparts of the same age, and hence are more likely to sidestep the bank and be happy to put in the “effort” of signing up with non-bank providers to save money.
- There are more than 300,000 Australian who reside abroad and need to transfer money periodically from their Australian bank account to USA / UK / Hong Kong/ New Zealand or wherever they currently reside (or the other way around, transfer money to relatives, friends, and business associates in Australia).
- There are more than 1 million Britons who resides in Australia… and Brits are the ones who run the (money transfer) world. That means transferring money from UK to Australia, and from Australia to UK, is one of the busiest corridors.
- The Australia-UK free trade deal make it extremely easy for regulated money transfer companies to onboard Australians.
We have been featured in the following publications:
Which Are the Best International Money Transfer Companies in Australia
Our Review and Comparison Guidelines Explained
We have compared more than 60 companies of which 13 are able to onboard Australia customers as per June 17, 2021.
|Parameter||What we look for|
|Quick and easy sign up process, readily available staff located in Austrlaia – courteous and understanding, or in simple words a money transfer service ready to go above and beyond for its clients.|
|Reputable company with long trading history (including specifically in Australia)|
|Oo money transfer fees and better-than-bank exchange rate for Australian dollar|
|Online money transfer website and mobile app (fully functional for tracking trades and conducting new trades)|
|Many currencies handled including exotic currencies, global office outside of Australia, regulated by several regulators, and constantly expanding into new territories.|
|While the majority of money transfer companies are happy to engage in AUD money transfers and on-board clients from Australia, only a small subset of them actually have local Australian offices. We have selected the most localised towards the Australia market.|
Additional Information on how we evaluate money transfer companies and decide on the top 10 money transfer companies in Australia can be found in our FAQ. Transfer money from Australia to UK or transfer money from Australia to USA – and this following guide will help you!
What’s the difference between a great money transfer company in Australia and a bad money transfer service?
Superb Money Transfer Service Experience
Lousy Money Transfer Service Experience
Money Transfer Companies in Australia – The History and The Now
Australia were a little slow to wake up to it, the US are still way behind on it and the UK has led the charge on it. What are we talking about? Specialised international money transfer companies of course. Bringing a breadth of new payment options with little to no fees and considerably better currency exchange rates. There are now more money transfer companies in Australia than ever before, joining the original innovator OFX (previously OzForex).
Australian FX Companies – Where Did it Start?
Whilst we might say Australia have been behind the curve OFX was actually founded in 1998 as one of the first dedicated international money transfer companies to ever exist. Today it’s had over one million customers and traded over $150b AUD for its clients. So why has it proved so popular and, like many other Australian FX companies, still remained a relative unknown in Australia?
It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly why, but when we consider the UK had at least 10 dedicated money transfer companies launching in the 1990’s and 2000’s and they still only had around 5% of the whole UK international money transfer market at the time then we can probably see why OFX might not have been a household name. The rest of the UK market belonged to 4 big banks (read about the current state of affairs in the UK banks join the money money transfer race). Sound familiar? That’s because it’s been much the same story in Australia.
Are We Seeing a Shift To More Currency Brokers in Australia and Why?
So what’s changed and why has the mentality shifted away from banks and towards international currency brokers in Australia? Part of it has to be that people have come around to the idea of managing their finances online or even through their mobile. Just as we use mobile banking these days we know there are a number of new innovative solutions challenging the big banks that provide us with more functionality at a reduced cost. It may feel longer but let’s not forget the first iPhone was only announced in 2007 and things have only moved faster the more time progresses.
There are a number of other reasons to use an Australian FX company as well of course. Looking at the infographic above, based on rates taken 29 January 2020, customers will receive more in their destination currency when using OFX vs both ANZ and Commonwealth Bank. In fact, when using an Australian bank, your currency exchange spread can be as much as 5% worse than the current interbank rate (the rate at which banks trade currencies with each other).
So let’s say you were making an international money transfer from Australia to UK of $1000 that would be $50 taken in the margin by the bank.
International payment fees are also likely to be between $10-$30 with an Australian bank whilst most Australian FX companies will charge no payment fees.
We won’t touch on the availability of payment and hedging solutions with money transfer companies in Australia compared to banks, as we cover this in our other resources. But suffice to say forward contracts, batch payments, regular transfers, swaps and limit orders will not be available with your bank are are so with dedicated Australian FX companies. Helping you achieve your desired exchange rate which can have a huge impact on the amount you receive.
Nowadays there are a whole host of other providers to have launched as money transfer companies in Australia. UK headquartered WorldFirst were the first international company to launch in Sydney in 2009 and they clearly detail their pricing matrix online (perhaps the cheapest of all Australian FX companies) which is dependent on the annual AUD volumes you are trading, whether as an individual or business. UK based TorFX then launched in 2013 and has been a mainstay ever since.
WorldFirst Australia – Best AUD FX Rates for BusinessesFor Business Clients Only & Online Sellers
- Industry Leader in the eCommerce Space, Owned by Ant Financial (AliPay)
- Specialising in Asian Currencies and Online Sellers
- Since 2004
- Global offices
- Very Strong Rates - Best Exchange Rates for Business Customers
- Collection Bank accounts available in UK, France, Germany, USA, and Canada, as well as Singapore, China and Japan (recent additions)
Overview of Rates offered:
Nowadays you will also find the global juggernaut TransferWise offering online only transfers from Australia, as well as World Remit and many, many more. If you’re considering an international money transfer from Australia to UK, or indeed any other country, it pays to do your research with both online transfer companies (such as TransferWise) and dedicated Australian money transfer companies (such as TorFX, OFX and WorldFirst). As Australian awareness builds for non-bank solutions for international money transfers so too does the number of Australian FX companies.
Final Words about Currency Transfers & Currency Brokers Australia
There is a significant selection available to those in Australia, individuals or businesses, who are looking for a reliable money transfer service which will allow them to transfer money internationally for cheap to and from Australia. We have included 5 of the top known money transfer companies in Australia on our list, but there are additional foreign currency providers out there – while some of those companies could be highly reliable and good it is important to follow through on the three golden rules:
- Regulated company (the best combination is being regulated domestically in Australia by ASIC as well as another prominent regulator).
- Has local offices and representatives (and support…) in Australia.
- Have been in this business for a long time and there are thousands of customer testimonials you can read about them (in an OBJECTIVE third party site and not on their own website).
- Have both dedicated dealers to help with larger trades and currency hedging as well as friendly online system and mobile app.